Monday, May 14, 2007

Everything Kills You

Common chemicals are linked to breast cancer

As usual, scientists are trying to scare the hell out of us. According to a newly released report, more than 200 chemicals, many of which are found in urban air and everyday consumer products, can cause breast cancer. First, I've got to say: I'm glad I'm not a woman. Nonetheless, is anyone really surprised? I mean, we use more than 400,000 chemicals and are exposed to approximately 1,000 different chemicals per week. Still, it seems unfair that women should suffer so. I think we ought to have to carry around uranium necklaces (along with a national ID card of course) to even the playing field. Maybe if everyone starts getting cancer people will start giving a shit about it.

If you want to know more, check out these stories, which will also scare the hell out of you:

And here's some more info on other stuff that will kill you, as per the LA Times article:

Seventy-three are present in consumer products or are food contaminants — 1,4-dioxane in shampoos, for example, or acrylamide in French fries. Thirty-five are common air pollutants, 25 are in workplaces where at least 5,000 women are employed, and 10 are food additives, according to the reports.
On the bright side, this article has affirmed one important thing for me: I'm going to die no matter what I do, so why bother quit smoking (cigarettes, that is). But here's a video for those more daring bloggers out there:

No comments: